Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shallow, Pretentious, Self-Serving

I wish that acronym spelled something; but the only thing SPSS might ever mean to anyone is a reference to that stupid computer program we used in the Psych department. Unless of course I coin it; but I don't think I really want to be known as Shallow, Pretentious, and Self-Serving. At least not chiefly. Although I think we all have a little SPSS in us, and there's no shame in it (should we add shameless to the title and make it SPSSS? I think not).

Anyway. I discovered a great new blog today, The Dark Horse, starring the thoughts/advice of Andrew Gates (husband of Erin Gates, whose blog, Elements of Style, I've been following for awhile now. They are my new favorite couple; check them out!). He literally just started this month (like me!) and one of his posts broached the issue of his blog's identity; and narrowing the focus. And I'm all like "Wait-- identity?? FOCUS?? ...No!" Most successful blogs (certainly the ones I like) do have an identity, and a focus, but it's so not me. Still, I thought I'd take a look and see if I'd accidentally planted a seed of identity here, just in case. I think you will agree that I did not. I have, however, been consistently SPSS (I could probably add Obnoxious in there and spell SPOSS, but I don't want to be too self-deprecating). I'm not quite confident enough in my character to claim SPSS as my theme; but I did want to throw it out there that I am not too SPSS to not realize that I am being SPSS.


***


Editors Note: It occurred to me after I posted this that SIPS is a way better acronym and kind of more accurate; since I am more Self-Indulgent than Self Serving. But I am also Lazy; so I will not edit this entire post. Especially not after I referenced my time spent in the Psych department. That shit's gotta be good for something.

1 comment:

  1. Nic!!!! Thanks so much for the shout out! It is my first! I can't tell you how excited that makes me...

    ReplyDelete